Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mechanical Components that we can afford

Wow, great post Jackie. I understand the concerns about controllability, and I agree that it is important to be both fast and controllable.

I found some motors on Jameco's website that seem to fit our needs: 15k-25k rpm, reasonable torque and current, and low cost:

This one takes 13 amps, but would be very powerful, and it's only 6 bucks. (18krpm)

1.43A, 23krpm, $3

1.44A, 18krpm, $2

20krpm, 2.05A, $3

18krpm, 0.15A, $1, weak sauce

I'm a fan of either the beast 13A motor if we think we can handle the drive circuit, or the 20krpm 2.05A motor for a good mix of affordability and speed.

As for propellers and shafts, I think we should get decently large propellers and long (maybe flexable) drive shafts so we can keep the motor out of the water.




1 comment:

  1. I like those 2.05A motors you mentioned. I think with 13A motors we would burn through batteries way too quickly! Also, since they're pretty cheap, I would be inclined to order twice as many motors as we think we need. Frying motors was a big problem for us last quarter, so spares would be an excellent thing to have around.

    ReplyDelete